Lower Shore CASA
c/o Worcester Youth & Family Counseling Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 925
Berlin, MD 21811
Fax: (410) 641-4696
What is Lower Shore CASA?
Lower Shore CASA is a program of Worcester Youth and Family Counseling Services, Inc., a non-profit organization. The CASA program was started in 2002 to try and effectively reach all abused and neglected children in Worcester County. It is our duty to ensure that the children have safe, permanent and loving homes. With the service of 111 volunteers Lower Shore CASA has been able to help 278 children.
A Message from the Director
Thank you for your interest in Lower Shore CASA and for wanting to help the children in Worcester County. I am pleased to announce that we are currently serving every child in Worcester County who is involved with the court system due to abuse or neglect. I want to continue to give every single child a volunteer and the support they need. With your help and commitment we can work together and provide for the children. Please contact us for more information on how you can help today!
Brigitte Southworth, Director
What is the need?
- 37 Children are under court protection as a result of abuse and neglect
- 59 Children have been served by Lower Shore CASA in the past year
- 7 Children are in need of CASA volunteers
- The program is in need of volunteers, especially Male Volunteers and African American Volunteers
How can you help?
- Become a Court Appointed Special Advocate
- Help with a Fundraiser
- Support the program financially
What Does a CASA Volunteer Do?
Gather Facts though independent research
Make Recommendations in a written court report to the judge
Give Oral Testimony in court, upon request
Ensure court-ordered services are provided in a timely manner
Provide Emotional Support to the child during stressful court proceedings and beyond
Taking a trip to the zoo. Dressing up and going trick-or-treating. Window shopping at the local mall. These are just a few of the activities that parents do with their children. For a child in foster care, however, they often have no one to do these things with them.
That is where a CASA volunteer comes in. In this volunteer spotlight we feature Christie Menning, a CASA from the Lower Shore program.
- Allegany County
- Anne Arundel County
- Baltimore City
- Baltimore County
- Caroline County
- Carroll County
- CASA of Southern Maryland (Charles, Calvert, St. Mary’s)
- Cecil County
- Frederick County
- Harford County
- Lower Shore (Worcester)
- Mid-Shore (Talbot, Dorchester, Queen Anne’s, Kent)
- Prince George’s County
- Voices For Children (Howard County)
- Voices For Children (Montgomery County)
- Washington County